To give you a better experience, we use our own and third party cookies,
The Green Goddess is the familiar name for the Bedford RLHZ Self Propelled Pump, a fire engine used originally by the Auxiliary Fire Service as well as the British Armed Forces. Its introduction dates back to 1953.
This latest model is of the Coventry Fire Brigade version, Pump No. 7 in the Coventry fleet and it is highly unusual as it is not green but Coventry yellow, to be precise.
Coventry city was the pioneer of yellow fire engines for the practical reason that they could be seen more clearly at night under sodium street lighting. The vehicle was acquired from the Home Office in 1968 following the disbanding of the Auxiliary Fire Services. The surplus AFS machines were offered to local authority fire brigades. In 1974, the machine was transferred to the newly formed West Midlands Fire Brigade and later operated at Coventry Airport whose fleet of fire engines was also painted yellow. The Green Goddesses made another valuable contribution when they were called out in 1977 to assist during the firemen's strike.
This vehicle comes in the livery of the Dublin Civil Defence. 2007 marked the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Defence Auxiliary Fire Services in Ireland. As part of a national ceremonial event held at Baldonnel on 13-14th October that year, the Dublin Civil Defence had acquired two Green Goddess - PGW 144 and RXP 754 - and painted them in the original Irish Auxiliary Fire Service colours, this model is a replica of the fire appliance PGW 144.
The Bedford RLHZ Self Propelled Pump, better known as the Green Goddess was used originally by the AFS and latterly by the British Armed Forces. These green-painted vehicles were built between 1953 and 1956 and the design was based on a Bedford RL series army truck. Prior to disbandment, the AFS used the Green Goddess extensively in support of the local Fire Services throughout the UK. In Northern Ireland they were painted yellow to distinguish them from Army vehicles. Meshing was added to the windows and hose was covered on the side of the vehicle.
Leyland TLM Fire Engine London Fire BrigadeThis emergency vehicle represents one of four Leyland TLM fire engines in service with the London Fire Brigade. Featuring the German designed Metz turntable ladders, DGJ310 was from the first batch of two ordered in 1934 and delivered in 1938. As Number 22 in the London fleet of turntable ladders, it saw service at Whitechapel. On the technical front, the impressive ladder was made up of four sections with a total extended length of 101 feet. The Metz ladder profile was that of a heavy steel square section with a pair of chains on the ladder turret which the firemen used to facilitate the elevation of the ladder. In addition, a Rees turbine pump emitted 500 gallons of water per minute.
By 1939 there were 52 Leyland/Metz turntable ladders being used by British fire brigades. However, due to the WWII hostilities, further orders were cancelled, to be replaced in due course by Merryweather appliances. However, 32 of the TLM/Metz remained in service ï¿½ some lasting until the mid 1960s.