Introduced by the LNER in 1937, later examples had all-welded bodies. BR also built some and uprated their capacity to 22 tons. Lasted into the 1980s, mostly in engineer’s use. Transfers for LNER, early and post-TOPS BR.Supplied with metal wheels and 3 link couplings.Intended to carry steel sheet or plates many sheet steel components could also be carried. The wagons proved versatile in service and often saw use as flat wagons conveying road vehicles and farm implements.
These large 24½-ton open wagons were intended to be the standard bulk coal wagons under the BR ideal stock plan, being the heaviest 2-axle wagons which could be granted near-universal route clearance. Where clearance wasn't available however was under the screens of many collieries. While the slightly lower 21-ton wagons proliferated this 24½ type was built in limited numbers and frequently made a nuisance of themselves by getting mixed in with the 21-tonners when going somewhere they wouldn't fit!2,150 of this design were built in 1953 – 1956. Used to carry coal for steel works, power stations and engines sheds. Withdrawn by 1982. Transfers for BR 1950s – 1970s.Supplied with metal wheels and 3 link couplings.