The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway was a rural railway between Wisbech on the Great Eastern Railway and Upwell, with several intermediate 'depots'. Traffic was predominately agricultural produce in the form of fresh fruit and vegetables, passenger service ending in 1927, while the line remained open for freight until 1966.
Constructed as a roadside tramway locomotives were required to be enclosed, with all moving parts covered, resulting in a distinctive 'tram engine'. The GER C53 class 0-6-0 engines were the second and larger type built. At the railways 'grouping' in 1923 the GER became part of the LNER and these engines were given LNER class J70, the J series being used for 0-6-0 tank engines.
Rapido Trains were commissioned to produce a OO gauge model of the J70 tram engines by Model Rail magazine who opted to have the engines finished in LNER and BR liveries. In earlier days under Great Eastern Railway ownership these tram locomotives and coaches wore matching liveries, creating a rather quaint little rural train.
Before 1919, the locomotives were painted coach brown with ultramarine blue frames and hauled coach brown tramcars.
After 1919, the locomotive livery changed to crimson and grey with the tramcars also being crimson.
Each train pack features an appropriately numbered and liveried GER C53 tram engine alongside tram coaches No.7 and 8 in appropriate livery and physical condition for the time period.
This batch of C53s feature all the same high-quality details as Model Rail J70s but have an upgraded circuit board and Next18 decoder socket. DCC sound-fitted packs are also being produced featuring an exclusive sound project supplied by Digitrains.