The last member of the class 1509 was completed in September 1949 and sent to Newport Pill shed, situated in the docks of Newport, South Wales. 1509 wasn't on the Pill shed allocation very long however, being transferred to Newport Ebbw Junction shed by the end of December 1949 where the engine remained until withdrawn from British Railways service at the end of August 1959, the first of the class to be withdrawn. Although withdrawn the engine was stored at Swindon, being joined 'in store' by 1501 and 1502 in early 1961, before all three engines were sold to the National Coal Board.
The three 15xx panniers were reported as held at Stafford, the NCB having contracted with the Brush-Bagnall company for the overhaul of locomotives, but the W G Bagnall works was full, dealing with ex-WD 'Austerity' 0-6-0 saddle tanks. As a result the there panniers were sent on to Andrew Barclay & Sons in Kilmarnock, before returning to Coventry by road in the later part of 1962. 1509 was withdrawn from service by the NCB in 1970, shunting at Coventry Colliery being taken over by class 08 diesel shunters leased from BR, and all three 15xx panniers were sold for preservation, with 1501 being selected for restoration at the Severn Valley Railway. After spares recovery the remaining hulk of 1509 was recycled by Cashmores.
- Designed from original works drawings and a wealth of photographic material
- Die-cast construction
- Quality mechanism
- Next18 decoder socket
- NEM coupler pockets
- Sprung buffers
- Key detail changes between individual locomotives