The Mk2 Coach was introduced to the British Railway in 1964, designed to be stronger and more resistant to corrosion than their predecessors yet also reducing maintenance costs. A revised painting method coincided with a switch from BR maroon and Southern Region dark green to a blue and grey livery.
1876 Mk2 Coaches were produced by BREL at Derby Litchurch Lane Works between 1963 and 1975, with many remaining in service performing departmental work and charter services. Mk2 Coaches were also widely exported and remain in mainline service in New Zealand as of 2020. Coaches and multiple units based upon the Mk2 design have also operated in Ireland, Taiwan and Kenya.