Grafar's super little N gauge model of Fairburn 2-6-4T engine no. 42096 is painted in BR mixed traffic lined black, with an early lion over wheel emblem. Era 4 1948-1956. NEM coupler pockets. DCC Ready - 6 pin decoder required for DCC operation.
Designed by Charles Fairburn and introduced in 1945 this class of 2-6-4 suburban tank engines expanded on the fleet of earlier Stanier engines. Following nationalisation many were built for Southern region, although still being given London Midland region numbers. Wartime and post war delays in the expansion of electrification created a gap in locomotive capacity on Southern Region that was filled by many of these new, modern steam engines. As a result a total of 277 were built. In 1955 42096 was shedded at 74A Ashford (Kent)