This new model will feature:
Era 5 1957-1966. NEM coupler pockets. DCC Ready 6 pin decoder required for DCC operation.
Era 3 1923-1948. NEM coupler pockets. DCC Ready 6 pin decoder required for DCC operation.
Era 4 1948-1956. NEM coupler pockets. DCC Ready 6 pin decoder required for DCC operation.
Grafar's super little N gauge model of Fairburn 2-6-4T engine no. 42096 is painted in BR mixed traffic lined black, with an early lion over wheel emblem. Era 4 1948-1956. NEM coupler pockets. DCC Ready - 6 pin decoder required for DCC operation.
Designed by Charles Fairburn and introduced in 1945 this class of 2-6-4 suburban tank engines expanded on the fleet of earlier Stanier engines. Following nationalisation many were built for Southern region, although still being given London Midland region numbers. Wartime and post war delays in the expansion of electrification created a gap in locomotive capacity on Southern Region that was filled by many of these new, modern steam engines. As a result a total of 277 were built. In 1955 42096 was shedded at 74A Ashford (Kent)
The largest of the 'big four' companies created by the Railways Act of 1921 the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) was formed on 1 January 1923. The major constituent companies were the London & North Western, running the West Coast route from London to Glasgow, the Midland Railway which served the same destinations but via the highly scenic Settle and Carlilse line, plus a number of large regional companies including the Lancashire & Yorkshire.The combined company was a vast undertaking with numerous interests other than railway operations. It was the largest company in the British Empire and the United Kingdom's second largest employer, after the Post Office, having a larger staff than the British Army! The LMS also claimed to be the largest joint stock organisation in the world. In 1938, the LMS operated 6,870 miles of railway.