SR B653 was built in 1875 as LB&SCR 53, named Ashtead. Passing to Southern Railway ownership in 1923 this engine was sold to the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway in 1937 and became GWR number 6 when the light railway closed in 1940. As (ex)GWR 6 B653 was withdrawn from service and scrapped by British Railways in 1948.
The A1 Terrier was built at the Brighton Works under the design of William Stroudley in 1872, and between 1874 and 1880 were primarily employed on London suburban services operated by the LB&SCR.
As the demands placed on the commuter network increased the A1 Terrier were replaced by heavier more powerful tank engines and the Terrier were sold to other private operators to work on branch line and shunting operations. Sixteen of the class were modified between 1911 and 1913 and again in 1919 with a new boiler and extended smokebox plus some other improvements and were classified A1X. The Class survived well into nationalisation with the final Terrier being decommissioned in 1963.
In all 10 Terriers survived into preservation.
The Dapol Terrier features:
- Finely moulded body with many separately added fine details
- Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring
- Heavy diecast chassis and all wheel pick up
- NEM pockets as standard
- Accessory bag with spares and other optional detail.