- Bachmann Branchline OO Scale
- Era 7
- Pristine BR Blue livery
- Running No. 44007
- Named ‘Ingleborough’
- Etched Nameplates included
- Disc Headcodes
- NEM Coupling Pockets
- Sprung Buffers
- Powerful 5 Pole Motor with Twin Flywheels
- Detailed Cab Interior with pre-fitted Driver in one cab
- Directional Lighting
- Locomotive Ready to Accept a Speaker
- Accessory Pack
- Equipped with a 21 Pin DCC Decoder Socket
- Length 275mm
CLASS 44 HISTORY
The British Rail Class 44 or Sulzer Type 4 diesel locomotives were built by British Railways' Derby Works between 1959 and 1960. They were named after British mountains, and consequently nicknamed ‘Peaks’. Their 16-wheel 1Co-Co1 wheel arrangement became idiosyncratic in later years.
Inspired by LMS prototypes Nos. 10000 and 10001, and by Southern Railway Nos. 10201-10203, the Class 44 diesels were some of the first large diesel locomotives commissioned for the British Rail modernisation project and were the precursors to the Class 45 and Class 46 locomotives of similar design. Ten locomotives were built to the Class 44 design, with a number of differences across the fleet.
When introduced, the locomotives were fitted with multi-unit working and steam heating boilers for passenger service. They worked regularly over the West Coast Main Line for a couple of years, and also between London St Pancras and Manchester Exchange over the Peak main line. Once the Class 45 units were available, their steam heating boilers were removed and the Class 44 locomotives were assigned to freight duties. They mostly operated in the East Midlands, with services centred on or radiating from Toton – to which all ten locomotives were allocated in March 1974. Withdrawals began in 1976 and the last taken out of service in 1980 but two have been preserved.