To give you a better experience, we use our own and third party cookies,
Dapol are releasing a new version of the F H Silvey liveried wagon featuring their new 5-plank body and 9-feet wheelbase wood style chassis. This model will carry a different running number to previous releases, representing another wagon in the large fleet of this Bristol coal supplier.Based in the Fishponds area of Bristol, home to many engineering firms including locomotive builders' Pecketts, F H Silvey operated an extensive fleet of wagons. Coal was obtained to supply both the boilers and forges of heavy industry and the homes of the workers. The wagon fleet was kept busy year-round, fetching coal from Yorkshire and Kent as well as local sources in Somerset and Gloucestershire.
Pack of 3 7 plank open wagons lettered PLA for Port of London Authority being produced by Golden Valley Hobbies as a companion to their Janus diesel shunter model. Each wagon will have a different number.
Model finished in the red livery of the Leamington Priors Gas Company whose works was situated adjacent to the Grand Union canal in Leamington Spa.
The Oxford Rail Standard RCH 12 Ton Mineral wagon boasts finely engraved body and underframe detail plus NEM couplings.Model finished in the red livery of E Welford & Son, coal merchants of Oxford.
Oxford Rail appear to have choosen the North British Railway 'Jubilee' design coal wagon with its distinctive heavily braced end door as the prototype for their 4 plank wagon.This model is finished as Hamilton Palace Colliery wagon 153, one of a number of colliery owned wagons built to the robust Jubilee design.
The LNER constructed a slightly larger 6 plank bodied open wagon for general merchandise service, in place of the 5 plank body favoured by LMS and GWR companies. The LNER design used the RCH wood chassis far longer than the other companies who changed to the stronger steel frame design, resulting in the LNER wagons being quite easily identifyable. This model from Oxford Rail provides modellers with a good and detailed model of these LNER wagons for the first time.
The standard 12 Ton Mineral wagon was the most numerous design of coal
wagons built in the UK after 1923. Designed to RCH specifications
(Railway Clearing House) this most ubiquitous of wagons had a universal
length of 16'6" with a width of 8'0" and wheelbase of 9'0". These wagons
were of a simple design and employed standard RCH fittings throughout
and were originally built as the Oxford Rail model depicts with seven
side planks, making an overall body height of 4' 4".The Oxford Rail Standard RCH 12 Ton Mineral wagon boasts finely engraved body and underframe detail plus NEM couplings.
The standard 12 Ton Mineral wagon was the most numerous design of coal wagons built in the UK after 1923. Designed to RCH specifications (Railway Clearing House) this most ubiquitous of wagons had a universal length of 16'6" with a width of 8'0" and wheelbase of 9'0". These wagons were of a simple design and employed standard RCH fittings throughout and were originally built as the Oxford Rail model depicts with seven side planks, making an overall body height of 4' 4".The Oxford Rail Standard RCH 12 Ton Mineral wagon boasts finely engraved body and underframe detail plus NEM couplings.
Richard White had a number of eye-catching liveries on his wagons, including 109 painted in bright blue with the company title in a 'hump' form, increasing in letter size over the door.
The Staveley coal and iron company is quite well know, this wagon recalls another part of the business core to the production of high quality metals, being marked for the carriage of caustic soda (sodium hydroxide).
Model of 7 plank open coal wagon 251 owned Phillips, George and company who operated depots in Cardiff, Aberdare and Swansea.
Model of a 6 plank open coal wagon operated by the Crynant Colliery company of Neath.
The livery of the wagons was particularly attractive in the early years, featuring a monogram on the side door formed from the company initials. Wagon number 3000 was one of a larger order placed with the Gloucester RCW and supplied in December 1911.
A model of an open wagon operated by the Tollemache Pulverised Coal Company and fitted with a ridged cover to ensure the powder product is not lost in transit. Pulverised coal could be made to behave much like a fluid, so could be pumped and sprayed into a furnace, allowing a very high rate of steam generation to be achieved. This system is still used in large coal-fired powerstations.
A nicely detailed model of a 5 plank open wagons as owned by David Parsons & Son, proprietors of the Stour colliery and brickworks at Cradley Heath.
Era 3. 1923-1947
A detailed model of a 7 plank private owner open wagon with end door operated by the Tredegar colliery company. Wagon supplied complete with a load.Era 3. 1923-1947
Although clearly lettered to advertise Ketton Cement this 8-plank open wagon was actually operated by well-known Sheffield coal factors Thos W Ward, whose name and TWW marks also appear on the wagon. It is most likely that this wagon was operated on a contract to supply coal for the Ketton cement companies' kilns, justifying the repainting of the wagon into the customers' colours.
These tank wagons were used to collect coal tar, a by-product of coal gas production, for refining to extract more useful petro-chemical products. Butlers' operated works in the cities of Bristol and Gloucester and these tar wagons would have travelled widely across the west of England, West Midlands and Welsh borders to collect raw materials from town gas companies to supply the refining plants.The Butler company originated in the GWR broad gauge era, Mr Butler being appointed by Mr Brunel to run the GWRs' timber treatment plant in Bristol. Later Mr Butler formed his own company, taking over the Bristol works and the company is still operating today as suppliers of industrial oil products like heating oil.
The small station of Cam on the Dursley branch was situated to one side of a road crossing between the road and the large Cam woollen mill. On the opposite side of the road to the station platform was a 'public siding' which served the towns' merchants, including coal merchant Mr Thomas.This model replicates Mr. Thomas' wagons painted in a black livery with white lettering. Wagon with weathered finish.
Detailed model of a 7 plank coal wagon operated by Richard White Coal Factors of Evesham
Oxford Rail appear to have choosen the North British Railway 'Jubilee' design coal wagon with its distinctive heavily braced end door as the prototype for their 4 plank wagon.This model is finished as wagon 127 in the fleet of Wilsons & Clyde of Netherburn, one of a number of coal
companies purchasing these robustly built wagons.
Oxford Rail have choosen the North British Railway 'Jubilee' design coal wagon with its distinctive heavily braced end door as the prototype for their 4 plank wagon.The diminutive North British 4 plank coal wagon is presented in Lothian Coal Co., Newbattle company colours. Wagon No 792. Model features fine moulded detail and NEM Coupling pockets.
Oxford Rail have choosen the North British Railway 'Jubilee' design
coal wagon with its distinctive heavily braced end door as the prototype for their 4 plank wagon.The diminutive North British 4 plank coal wagon is presented in United Collieries, Glasgow company colours. Wagon No 6439. Model features fine moulded detail and NEM Coupling pockets.
Oxford Rail have choosen the North British Railway 'Jubilee' design coal wagon with its distinctive heavily braced end door as the prototype for their 4 plank wagon.
A well detailed model of a 4 plank open wagon operated by Stephens and Company of Kidwelly serving the companys' brick works producing silcia refractory bricks used for lining the ovens and furnaces used for making iron and steel.
A model of a 5-plank open coal wagon in the livery of Bognor coal merchant E A Robinson.Model features a new bodyshell mounted on the new Dapol wood solebar 9-feet wheelbase chassis.
These wagons show evidence of some hard service in minerals traffic and various bodywork repairs.
Bananas required a special type of box van with insulation to avoid changes in temperature during transit. These vans often ran as block trains at express goods speed, sometimes even hauled by an express passenger locomotive, to ensure the fruit was delivered promptly to market, fresh off the ships!
The Minera lime company operated a fleet of these covered wagons. The peaked roof of these wagons was quite distinctive and cupboard doors are fitted in place of the usual drop-down door used on an open wagon.
Lime is used by farmers to adjust the acidity of soils to provide the best possible balance for the crop they intend to grow, so lime wagons would have been seen visiting many small goods yards across Britain withÂ deliveries for estate farms and local agricultral supply businesses.
A very neat model of the covered lime wagon from Dapol with good side and roof door detail. This model is in the pale yellow livery of Crawshay Brothers and will be equiped with the new Dapol NEM coupler pockets along with a new running number.The Crawshay family had business interests in a range of companies and activities relating to the iron production, coal and mineral extraction in South Wales and the Forest of Dean. Their wagons carried the produce of their mines and quarries to customers across Britain.
A very neat model of the covered lime wagon from Dapol with good side and roof door detail.
Model of a covered salt van in the livery of Salt Union a Cheshire based producer.
Featuring the distinctive peaked roof these vans were built to provide weather protection for cargo likely to be damaged by rain.
Star Salt of Chester operated this bark red painted van, with their name displayed in yellow lettering to advertise their brand and products to passengers as their wagons travelled the rail network.
Representing the last years of rail milk tank operation this model carries the blue tank and milk lettering applied by the Milk Marketing Board in the 1970's.
The last regular milk trains ran from Devon and Cornwall to London. These fast and important trains were often entrusted to the powerful Western class diesel hydraulics until that class was replaced by class 47 and 50 locomotives in the mid-70's.
6-wheel milk tank wagon with the tank painted in the CWS' green livery.
United Dairies tank carried on a chassis owned by the Southern Railway. This model is an excellent companion to Hornby's M7 class tank engines, which would have hauled these wagons to loading dairies in the countryside of southern England.
The Cadbury company set up a modern chocolate factory at Bournville, Birmingham. To feed the furnaces the company invested in a small fleet of hopper wagons, greatly simplifying the emptying of wagons on arrival.This model is painted in the companys' usual light blue colour with yellow lettering.
A 4-plank open wagon painted in the red livery of B W company.This wagon is marked for return to Radstock on the Somerset and Dorset railway.
Model of a 5 plank open wagon painted in the red livery of Harry Whitehouse of Stourport, a supplier of the fine sand used to create moulds for producing metal castings. This wagon is supplied with a sand load.
A neatly detailed 5-plank open wagon in the slate grey livery of the Cliffe Hill Granite Co. based in Markfield, near Leicester. The company painted it's wagons to advertise their products to the travelling public. This wagon carries an advert for paving stone, one of many uses for the hard wearing granite and details of the company's agents in Mirfield.
Dapol have produced a stone load to represent granite quarried by the Cliffe Hill company.
5 plank open coal wagon in the livery of the Minera Lime company.Lime manufacture required supplies of limestone and coal to fire the kilns. As local supplies were used up raw material had to be sourced from quarries and collieries farther away and several lime companies owned a small fleet of open wagons to ensure the kilns were kept running.
Featuring all new tooling including a 9-feet wheelbase wood frame style chassis this wagon carries the red livery of Stevens &Co. a large firm of coal merchants and factors based in Oxford.
Stevens were a large firm who grew their business by taking over locations and business from other coal merchants as they wished to sell up or retire. The company operated from locations all across the Midlands and home counties, having several depots in Gloucestershire and Warwickshire.
This model features the new Dapol 7-plank open wagon body with fixed ends and 9-feet wheelbase chassis incorporating NEM coupler mounting pockets.
This model replicates wagon 17 in the fleet of Somerset coal merchant Small & Son. This was a family concern which grew to deal in farm produce and supplies as well as coal, describing their business as coal, corn, forage & lime merchants. Depots were operated in Taunton, Tiverton Junction, Thornfalcon (Chard branch) and Norton (Fitzwarren), serving the rural and aggricultral communities of West Somerset and North Devon.
A large coal factor company, Lowell Baldwin of Bristol supplied coal to many industrial consumers, justifying the purchase of these large capacity wagons. The higher capacity were ideal wagons for delivering coal for the boilers of many industries and town gas plant, where large quantities of coal were required daily.20-ton capacity coal wagons became more popular in the 1930's, as the railway companies offered a better rate per ton for coal haulage in these larger wagons. The railway company gained in efficiency, moving fewer wagons needed less locomtoive power and less shunting to deliver the same weight of coal loaded in older 10-ton wagons. To assist with unloading these high-capacity wagons two doors were fitted in each side, plus end and often four bottom hatch doors.
A nice model of a 20-ton capacity wooden body coal wagon in the grey livery of The Gas Light & Coke Co. wagon number 763.These long wheelbase wagons had two drop doors fitted each side, plus bottom hatch doors. The larger wagon body offered a higher load capacity than short-wheelbase wagons (20 tons compared to 10/12 tons) with only a small increase in empty tare weight. 20-ton wagons were particularly useful for consumers of large quantities of coal like gas and electric power plants.
Oxford Rail appear to have choosen the North British Railway 'Jubilee' design coal wagon with its distinctive heavily braced end door as the prototype for their 4 plank wagon.this model is finished as wagon 272 in the fleet of R Taylor and Sons Ltd. of Dundee, one of a number of coal companies purchasing these robustly built wagons.
Model of Gregory 7 plank open coal wagon number 109. The companys' wharf was at Kentish Town in North London and served by the Midland Railway.
Coke burns at a higher temperature than basic coal, so is the preferred fuel for iron and steel making.