A growing range of detailed military models in 1/48 and 1/72 scales
Early in WWII the need for a small utility vehicle became apparent. To expedite the manufacturing process some civilian car designs were modified. These small utility vehicles were usually referred to as “tilly”, a play on the word utility. There were 4 major producers of these vehicles, Austin, Hillman, Standard and Morris. Manufacturers kept some of their distinctive physical features such as hoods (bonnets) and grilles. The “tilly” was well suited for the multitude of tasks it was assigned and became an iconic WWII British vehicle.
Ferdinand Porsche produced an amphibious version of the Kubelwagen (Type 82) known as Type 128. The vehicle was too large and unstable so he reduced it in size to create the Type 166 Schwimmwagen. The Type 166 originally replaced reconnaissance unit motorcycle- sidecars but also became a scout and staff car. Amphibious and all-wheel drive made the Type 166 a vehicle for mud, snow, sand or water. The rear-mounted three-blade propeller was lowered and self-engaged to linkage from the engine. The Type 166 was the most produced amphibious vehicle in history.
In 1951 Ford Motor Company was awarded a contract to develop a replacement for the M38 Jeep Light Utility Vehicle. The vehicle had to be a 1/4 ton 4x4 Military Utility Tactical Truck (M151 MUTT) and after extensive testing began production in 1959 until 1982. The M151, M151A1, and M151A2 are a general purpose personnel or cargo carrier. Eventually manufacturing contracts were awarded to Kaiser and AM General Corp and well over 100,000 MUTTs of many variants produced.
The US M10 was the most produced US tank destroyer of WWII. The British M10s were called Achilles IIC because of the modification of the main gun from a 3 inch gun to a quick-firing British 17 Pounder. The conversions took place at the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich. The Mk. IC had a diesel engine while the Mk. IIC had a gasoline engine. Even the gun of the Mk. IIC was having difficulty against the heavy armor of the German Panthers and Tigers. Gradually the M36 Jackson with its heavier armor began to take over from the M10 and Achilles.
The M-10 was America's first tank destroyer built on a Sherman hull with a 76mm 50 caliber cannon. The cannon was so heavy a counter-weight had to be mounted on the rear of the turret. It had light angular armor and counted on speed and agility for survival. Extra armor could be bolted to the turret and hull. The turret had an open-top exposing the crew to enemy fire and the elements. The M-36 with its 90mm cannon eventually replaced the M-10.
The M48 Patton is a medium tank and was the third and final tank to be officially named after General George S. Patton. The first version used in Vietnam was the gasoline engined M48A2 but was soon out numbered by the diesel powered M48A3 which became the most numerous US tank during the conflict. The M48A3s were conversions of earlier models so it wasn’t uncommon for many characteristics to vary from tank to tank. Some M48A3s had 3 support rollers while others had 5 and the headlight assemblies could either be the early or later type.
During WWII the German Army used Schwerer Panzerspahwagen (Heavy Armored Reconnaissance Vehicles) to scout ahead and determine the enemy strength and report back to the main units. In spite of its size and weight the Puma was very fast and equipped with a 5cm gun and a 7.92 mm MG. Two unique features of the Sd. Kfz. 234/2 was the ability of the radio operator to drive the vehicle in reverse during emergency situations and it was the only variant with a turret. Production ran from September 1943 to September 1944.
The Sd.Kfz.234/3 chassis saw little change from the Sd.KFZ.234/2 Puma. What was changed was that the superstructure and top armoured plate was removed. With the turret removed it was replaced by armour plates on all 4 sides. A new 7.5cm KwK51 L/24 short barreled main gun was installed in the open topped fighting compartment. 6 Sd.Kfz.234/3 vehicles made up a platoon of the Panzerspahwagen Company to support the SdKfz 234/1s.