Rapido Trains 958012 As Preserved GNR 1247 Class J13 LNER J52 0-6-0ST GNR Green 1960s Railtour Condition OO

£164.95
MRP £164.95

Must be ordered - delivery as soon as possible.
(Product Ref 101310)
Cookies are disabled.
To place an order please call 01453 377030
Have a question about this product? Let us know

GNR J13 No.1247 GNR Green 1960s Railtour Condition

  • No.1247
  • GNR lined green (1960s railtour condition)
  • Cast tapered chimney
  • Pop-type safety valves
  • Short dome
  • Parallel buffers
  • Pole-type front step
  • 4 handrail knobs
  • Can motor
  • Flywheel
  • Plunger pickups
  • Sprung buffers
  • Detailed cab interior
  • Firebox glow
  • Factory-fitted speaker
  • Optional scale couplings
  • Diecast chassis block
  • Next18 decoder socket

The GNR class J13 (LNER class J52) saddle tank engines appeared in 1897, a development by Henry Ivatt of the existing Stirling-designed J14 (LNER class J53). The new engines carried a larger diameter domed boiler (in place of design) which proved a more more efficient boiler than the previous domeless Stirling boiler, but was the same length. This allowed J14 class locomotives to be rebuilt, hence although only 85 new J13s were built LNER class J52 peaked at 136 locomotives in the early 1930s, just one of the J14s not being rebuilt.

The class became a common sight in North London, covering the North London Line which linked the mainline railways around the north of London, pilot and shunting duties at Kings Cross, and in numerous marshalling yards up and down the country.
Approaching the end of their nominal 40-years working lives withdraw was planned to commence in the late 1930s, but was delayed by the outbreak of war and 132 locomotives were passed to British railways ownership. The arrival of new diesel shunting engines saw withdrawals resume through the 1950s, with just three left at the end of 1959.

In 1959 with just a few of these classic Great Northern locomotives remaining in May 1959 68846, nicknamed the 'Old Lady' by crews at Kings Cross 'Top Shed', was purchased privately by Captain Bill Smith,becoming the first privately preserved ex-British Railways steam locomotive.
(For context, in March 1959 the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway Preservation Society had been formed, soon to adopt the title Bluebell Railway Preservation Society)
68846 was soon repainted into the beautiful pre-grouping GNR green livery with her original number 1247 and hauled railtours on the mainline,  restored this engine has gone on to a long and historic career in preservation. Initially hauling mainline tours until 1962, 1247 then went to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, then moving to Tyseley and working on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
On the passing of Captain Bill Smith 1247 was donated to the The National Railway Museum, still working on many heritage railways and in 1991 displayed at Railfair 91 in Sacramento, California. Loaned to the East Somerset Railway in exchange for work done on it, then the Great Central Railway. In May 2009 1247 was repainted back into its GNR livery once again at Shildon and recently displayed at the NRM York.
The Old Lady of British railway preservation it is understood the NRM is considering the future of GNR 1247, exploring options which will see the engine will return to steam again.

Have a question about this product? Let us know