Battleship “Großer Kurfürst” belonged to “König” class of the Kaiser German Navy of WWI period. “Großer Kurfürst” was laid down at AG “Vulcan” in Hamburg 3.10.1911, launched 5.05.1913 and commissioned 30.07.1914. Battleships of “König” class were mighty vessels, excellently geared for North Sea conditions. The four sisterships formed the 3rd Squadron of Open Sea Navy (Hochseeflotte). The 3rd Squadron of Battleships took part in all battle operations of Open Sea Navy after the WWI started. One of the sorties caused the Battle of Jutland May 31 – June 1, 1916, – the greatest and fierce sea battle of WWI. British battleships “Warspite”, ”Valiant” and “Malaya” were severely damaged by the fire of the 3rd Squadron of Battleships. After the armistice was signed the German Navy was interned by alliances at Scapa-Flow, where almost all vessels, including all 4 “König” sisterships, were scuttled by their crews June 21, 1919.