Designed by R. A. Riddles and derived from Ivatt’s LMS 2MT 2-6-0 locomotive design, itself a variation of Ivatt’s Class 2 2-6-2T, the BR Standard Class 2 was the smallest of the BR standards and featured changes to the LMS design such as smaller cabs so that they could be used across the network where loading gauges were less generous. Darlington works was responsible for building the entire fleet of 65 engines and for a time construction of the LMS and BR designs overlapped. Like the LMS predecessor the BR design had a tender cab to enhance crew protection and visibility when running tender-first. Built as part of a batch of 10 destined for the Scottish Region, No. 78054 was built in 1955 and allocated to the Motherwell depot. The locomotive started out life hauling freight however after a year it was moved to Keith where it ran passenger services.
The locomotive was also allocated to Aberdeen Ferryhill and Bathgate sheds before being withdrawn in December 1965.