The LNER Thompson Class L1 2-6-4T steam locomotives began with prototype No. 9000 in 1945 as part of Thompson’s ‘Standardisation Programme’, painted in an apple-green livery. The North British Locomotive Company constructed No. 67735, which entered service on 5th November 1948 in a BR Black livery.
The locomotive featured a Westinghouse air brake pump on the right-hand side of the smokebox, with a vacuum ejector for alternative train braking. In August 1950, a tank leak was repaired in Stratford, which was a common issue. 67735 was condemned on 16th September 1962 and was cut up at Doncaster Works on 15th November 1962.