The LNER Thompson Class L1 2-6-4T steam locomotives began with prototype No. 9000 in 1945 as part of Thompson’s ‘Standardisation Programme’, painted in an apple-green livery. No. E9011 was constructed at Darlington Works and entered traffic on 25th March 1948.
A few months later, on 21st July 1948, the locomotive was renumbered to a more standardised BR number of 67712. It was originally allocated to Stratford shed and then on 8th February 1959, it was allocated to Cambridge. The engine was condemned on 4th October 1961 and moved to Darlington to be cut up the next day.