Construction started on the HMS Lord Nelson on May 18 in the shipyard at Palmer and was launched on the 4th September 1906. Fitting out took until October 1908. She was the one if the last pre-dreadnought battleship built.
In 1915 HMS Lord Nelson was involved in an attack on a shore battery & fort and was hit by gunfire in the action but excellent protection prevented serious damage. On 19th January 1915 she Joined the Eastern Mediterranean Fleet. In 1919 she participated in the intervention against the Soviet Union.