The first Spitfire Mk V was produced in January 1941 and proved to be as good as the Mk III and less complicated. The Mk V was the most produced variant of the Spitfire and the main version throughout 1941 and was a better aircraft than the Bf-109 but that all changed with the introduction of the Fw-190. The Mk V remained the RAF fighter through the summer of 1942 and saw several variants developed using bigger engines, new wing types and more armament. There were 20,351 Mk V aircraft built in all variants.
Spitfire Mk. Vb RF-D/AB910 was manufactured at Castle Bromwich in 1941 and was delivered to the 222 Squadron. This aircraft also spent time with 130 Squadron,133, 242, 416 RCAF, No. 3501 Support Unit, 402 RCAF, 53 OUT, 527 and the RWE before being put in storage on May 30, 1945. In 1947 RF-D/AB910 was purchased and used for racing. Later given to the BBMF in 1965 and appeared in the film Battle of Britain. Eventually the aircraft was painted in the 303 (Polish) Squadron markings and made numerous appearances at various Air Shows.