Hobby Master HA5503 Curtiss P-40N Warhawk White 49 89th FS 80th FG Naggaghuli Base 1944 1/72
Hobby Master 1/72 Curtiss P-40N Warhawk White 49 89th FS, 80th FG, Assam Valley, Naggaghuli Base, 1944 HA5503
The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk first flew in 1938 as a modification of the Curtiss P-36 Hawk. Warhawk was the official U.S. designation while the name Tomahawk was used by the British Commonwealth and Soviet forces for the P-40B and C and Kittyhawk for P-40Ds and later variants. The P-40 was first used by British squadrons in North Africa and the Middle East in 1941. The P-40 lacked a two-speed supercharger making them inferior to German aircraft but was an adequate fighter in low altitude combat zones. Almost 12,000 P-40s were produced.
In March 1942 the 88th, 89th and 90th Pursuit Squadrons formed the 80th Pursuit Group. In February 1943 the 80th PG was ordered to the Far East instead of Europe and would be equipped with the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. In May 1943 the 80th PG left for the Naggaghuli Base in the Assam Valley, India to protect cargo aircraft flying supplies from India to China by way of Burma and Japanese fighter aircraft. The sound made by the P-40 earned the 80th PG the nickname Burma Banshees.