Hobby Master HA1977 McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II Final Flight WTD-61 Manching AB 2013 1/72
Hobby Master 1/72 McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II 38+13 "Final Flight", WTD-61 Manching AB, 2013 HA1977
The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a two-seat, supersonic long-range all-weather fighter-bomber. The aircraft was designed as a USN Fleet defense aircraft and entered service in 1961. The F-4 soon became one of the few aircraft to be utilized by the USN, USAF and USMC. The Phantom could carry a varied payload and armament so it was well suited to do just about any job. Because of its large nose and ruggedness the F-4 earned the nickname Rhino, along with others that were less flattering. The F-4 went on to serve in no less than 11 other countries. Production ended in 1979 with 5,201 aircraft manufactured in 14 different versions.
The F-4F variant of the McDonnell Douglas Phantom II entered service with the Luftwaffe in 1974. Eventually 175 F-4Fs would replace the F-104Gs Starfighters used by two interceptor wings (JG-71 and JG-74) and two ground attack wings (JBG-35 and JBG-36). F-4F 72-1223 C/N 4644 was assigned to JBG-36 and later transferred to WTD61 (Technical and Airworthiness Centre) at Manching AB. Even when the F-4F had been removed from active service 38+13 still flew at WTD 61. On July 30, 2013 wearing a special paint scheme 38+13 made its final flight.