The F-4E variant was an improved version of the C/D with an elongated nose and compact radar. These two things made it possible to install a 20mm M61A1 6 barrel 640 round Vulcan gun pod in the nose. The F-4E was the most produced variant with 1387 aircraft being made over its 12 year production period. The “E” also equipped more air forces than any other variant of the Phantom II.
“Archangel 2005” was the national Greek Air Force Airshow held at Tanagra AB in 2005. F-4E 68-506 was given a special paint scheme to mark the retirement of the F-4E from the Hellenic Air Force. F-4E 68-506 MSN 3693 was delivered to the USAF 496th TFS in 1971 and after many transfers ended its time in the USA with the Indiana ANG 163rd TFS. In 1991 the aircraft was sold to the Hellenic AF and assigned to the 338 Mira and in 2005 it went to the 337 Mira and now serves as gate guard at Larissa AB.