October 1975 saw delivery of the first USAF A-10a and deployment in March 1976. Built specifically for close ground support the pilot is protected by titanium armor while being covered by a bubble canopy giving a commanding view. The Warthog has everything needed to survive, dual engines; self-sealing fuel cells; redundant flight control systems protected by titanium armor; a 30 mm seven-barrel Gatling gun; a wide array of bombs and missiles. This plane packs a heavy punch and can stay on scene a long time to deliver its payload.
The 57th Wing located at Nellis AFB is home to 19 squadrons each with a different assignment. One of these squadrons is the 66th Weapons School that was originally activated in January 1941 as the 66th Pursuit Squadron (Interceptor). A few re-designations and de-activations the squadron was re-activated in 2003 as 66th Weapons School. Their job was to teach graduate-level instructors in all aspects of the A-10 so after graduation they could return to active units to provide other personnel with advanced instruction.