The F-104 Starfighter was a revolutionary design with short razor-sharp wings. It was the first aircraft to be able to maintain Mach 2 not just in short bursts. The Starfighter shattered speed and rate of climb records that still are impressive today. This extremely high speed earned the plane the nickname “The Missile With A Man In It”. Because of financial considerations 15 or more countries purchased the F-104. The Starfighter flew with the USAF in 1958 and the last airplane was decommissioned in Italy in 2004.
F-104G Starfighter was built by Fokker under license from Lockheed. F-104G D-8114 c/n 683-8114 Fokker factory number 1056 was delivered on October 2, 1963 and over the years served with the 323, 322, 311, 311/312, 311, 312 squadrons before being removed from service on June 18, 1984. With the arrival of the F-16 most of the F-104 aircraft were sent to Turkey or Greece with some being kept for air frame training, towing and displays. D-8114 was eventually saved and taken to Volkel Airbase where it is under going restoration.