Corgi ST97507 BR 60009 Union of South Africa A4 Class Great Gathering 2013 Special Edition 1/120
Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley, A4 Class No.4488 was the fifteenth of the thirty-five A4 Class locomotives built. Entering service in 1937 No.4488 wore the LNER Garter Blue livery until 21st March 1942 when it was painted black. It was originally planned for No. 4488 to be named ‘Osprey’ but along with others in the class it was named after British Commonwealth countries. During the 1980s and 1990s it carried the nameplate ‘Osprey’ for political reasons.
‘Union of South Africa’ was allocated to the Haymarket shed at Edinburgh and worked there until 20th May 1962 when it was transferred to Aberdeen. On 24th October 1964 ‘Union of South Africa’ pulled the last booked steam hauled train from King’s Cross Station, it was also the last steam locomotive to be overhauled at the famous Doncaster works. Carrying BR No. 60009, ‘Union of South Africa’ was withdrawn from service with BR on 1st June 1966. The following month the locomotive was purchased by John Cameron, and is currently one of only three mainline certificated A4 Class locomotives. No. 60009 is currently preserved as it was when it retired from service in Brunswick Green carrying a late BR emblem as modelled here.