Coastlines CL-HM-A10 Avalos Tower, Augusta, Sicily, an island fort, 1942 on 1/1250
This fortress was built to defend the port of Augusta when Spain owned Sicily. In the c20th, a large breakwater was built to the seaward side and the lighthouse was discontinued in 1942, but the light tower continues to be used as a day mark.
Diameter is approx. 9cm
The story goes that, during WW2, a Royal Navy submarine fired a torpedo at the fort because its outline resembles a ship! The Admiralty denies that it ever happened but they would, wouldn't they!