The British word Tank comes from the code name ( water tanks) used to decribe these vehicles when first introduced. The MkIV was the most widely used version in World War 1, especially in the battle of Cambrai in 1917. The armament was carried in side sponsons, the male carrying two 6 pounder guns while the female carried only machine guns.
� The length of the tank was 26'5" (8.5m), height 8'2" (2.49M) and the width was 13'6" (4.11m). It was powered by a daimler 6 cylinder engine and had a maximium speed of 3.7 Mph (6kph). It carried 2 6 Pounder guns and 3 machine guns.