Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley, A4 Class No.4488 was the fifteenth of the thirty-five A4 Class locomotives built. Entering service in 1937 No.4488 wore the LNER Garter Blue livery until 21st March 1942 when it was painted black. It was originally planned for No. 4488 to be named ‘Osprey’ but along with others in the class it was named after British Commonwealth countries. During the 1980s and 1990s it carried the nameplate ‘Osprey’ for political reasons.