Dapol have produced a very finely detailed model of the British Railways standard heavy shunting engine, best known asclass 08, but often referred to by railwaymen as '350s' from the original350bhp engine rating. Developed from locomotives ordered by the big four railway companies in the late1930s and through the 40s British Railways picked the most reliable equipment for their standard heavy diesel shunter. 996 locomotives were built between 1952 and 1962, replacing steam traction in yards and depots, with several hundred still at work on the national rail network, heritage railways and in industrial service.
The Dapol model is driven by a powerful 5-pole motor with flywheel smoothing out the drive through a gear system designed to providerealistic smooth, slow speed running suitable for shunting work. Extensive research into the design variations within almost a thousandlocomotives built by five different works over ten years has produced a highly detailed bodyshell replicating the first batches of 08sbuilt with external hinge strapping on the bonnet side doors. The tooling is designed to allow for other common variations, with models available with one or two exhauster boxes at the front of the footplate and to replicate locomotives in early condition with radiator accessladders and later service when the ladders were removed. The cab has not been forgotten, with opening cab doors revealing interior detailing, control desk, brake stand and cable trunking.
DCC Ready with a 21-pin decoder connection and space provided for a speaker easily accessible under a 'clip in' bonnet roof section (5 or more decoder function outputs required).
The Dapol O gauge Class 08 features:
- Fine cast metal coupling hooks and chains.
- Directional and cab lights.
- Finely moulded body with many separately added fine details.
- DCC ready with 21 pin decoder connection for control of all aspects of running.
- Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring.
- Tungsten chassis and all wheel pickup.
- Tooling designed to allow the production of alternate models.
- Powerful 5 pole skew wound motor and flywheel for superior running and performance
- Accessory bag with spares and other added detail.