GWR 2251 Collett Goods

Collett's 0-6-0 'Baby Castles'
Project on hold by Heljan
By 1930 many of the GWRs' fleet of small tender engines were reaching the end of their economic working lives and suitable replacements with low axle loads for maximum route coverage were required. Just as with his earlier pannier tanks CME C B Collett produced an updated version of the highly successful Dean goods engines. The use of a domeless taper boiler placed clear of the frames and the fitting of a full side-windowed cab gave the engines a very tidy and thoroughly modern look. Enginemen dubbed them 'Baby Castles' for their family look to the GWRs express passenger engines.
The new 2251 class 0-6-0s also had more power than their predecessors due to the use of a higher working pressure, while the axle loadings remained within the GWR 'yellow' route code limit. This allowed them to be used on many branch lines and 2251 class engines were often allocated to branch sheds for local goods services. The engines were equally capable of handling the light passenger trains on cross country routes, notably on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton route. Just the sort of trains which can be easily accommodated on model railway layouts.
120 locomotives were constructed between 1930 and 1948, with the last being withdrawn in 1965 as regular steam operations ended on the Western region. Fortunately a small group of enthusiasts including several GWR/BR enginemen purchased number 3205 for preservation.