Oxford Rail OO East Kent Light Railway 5 ex-LSWR Adams 4-4-2T Radial Tank EKLR Green Livery OR76AR005
Oxford Rail OR76AR005 OO Gauge East Kent Light Railway 5 ex-LSWR Class 415 Adams Radial 4-4-2T EKR (ex-LSWR) green livery
A new and highly detailed model of the LSWR 415 class 'Adams Radial' 4-4-2 tank engines.
These classic British locomotives were built from 1882 for suburban services along the LSWR lines from London. Displaced by larger locomotives the radials found new homes on country branchlines, the last three of the class still working the Lyme Regis branch until 1962.
This model is finished as the locomotive owned by the East Kent Railway, running as EKLR number 5. The livery was little altered from LSWR paint by the impecunious light railway, but number 5 was to have a long, interesting and varied career...
Built in March 1885 in Glasgow by Neilson & Co as LSWR 488 she was and sold to the Ministry of Munitions in 1914 for service at Ridham, Sittingbourne, Kent. Purchased by EKLR in 1919 and numbered 5 the radial was laid aside needing repairs in 1939. Following WW2 the Southern Railway required another locomotive for the Lyme Regies branch and EKLR 5 was purchased, returning to service in 1946 as SR number 3488. Renumbered 30583 by British Railways the locomotive was withdrawn (again!) in 1961. The number 488 should seem familiar however, as this well travelled engine was purchased for preservation by the Bluebell Railway, the sole surviving example of the class.