The bi-plane'sfirst flighttook place in March 1931. Because of the Great Depression and the high cost of the Fury only 118 were produced for the RAF although it was the first RAF operational aircraft to exceed 200 mph in level flight. In May 1931 No. 43 Squadron was the first to receive the new aircraft. Starting in 1936 five RAF squadrons received the new improved Fury II. Seven foreign air forces ordered the Fury II. In 1939 the RAF Furys were replaced by Gladiators and Hurricanes.
The No. 43 Squadron RAF was formed in 1916 and disbanded in December 1919. It was reformed in July 1923 at RAF Henlow equipped with Snipes. In 1926 the Squadron was re- equipped with new Gloster Gamecocks from which the squadron name 'Fighting Cocks' originated. The 43rd began using black and white checkered markings around the same time period. In 1928 the 'Fighting Cocks' switched to Armstrong Whitworth Siskins and in May 1931 received the first Furys. At RAF Tangmere R.H. Hanmer became the Squadron Leader in January 1932.