Over 1000 class 08 type shunterswere built and with over 60 years in servicethere are many differences between locomotives.This covers thenumber ranges which were supposed to have the same arrangement as the model, double-checking from photographs is suggested! A vast range ofexamples can be found on Martin Brays' website at www.martinbray-ukloco.com which features at least one image of most of the class.
Locos up to13336/D3336 and D3454-D3472 had external bonnet door hinges, while the right hand exhauster box was not been fittedfrom 13245 onwards.
Locos (supposed to have!) external door hinges and one exhauster box.
13245 to 13336 (D3245 to D3336 / 08177 - 08266) and D3454 to D3472 (08369 - 08387).
The Dapol model is driven by a powerful 5-pole motor with a flywheel smoothing out the drive through a gear system designed to provide realistic smooth, slow speed running suitable for shunting work. Extensive research into the design variations within almost a thousand locomotives built by five different works over ten years has produced a highly detailed bodyshell replicating the first batches of 08s built with external hinge strapping on the bonnet side doors. The tooling is designed to allow for other common variations, with models available with one or two exhauster boxes at the front of the footplate and to replicate locomotives in early condition with radiator access ladders and later service when the ladders were removed. The cab has not been forgotten, with opening cab doors revealing interior detailing, control desk, brake stand and internal cable trunking.
DCC Ready with a 21-pin decoder connection and space provided for a speaker easily accessible under a 'clip in' bonnet roof section (5 or more decoder function outputs required).
The Dapol O gauge Class 08 features:
- Fine cast metal coupling hooks and chains.
- Directional and cab lights.
- Finely moulded body with many separately added fine details.
- DCC ready with 21 pin decoder connection for control of all aspects of running.
- Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring.
- Tungsten chassis and all wheel pickup.
- Tooling designed to allow the production of alternate models.
- Powerful 5 pole skew wound motor and flywheel for superior running and performance
- Accessory bag with spares and other added detail.