After the Falklands the RAF had a gap in the Air Defence of GB, with the delay to the new F3 Tornado and the lack of other RAF Phantoms the MOD purchased straight from the New Mexico Desert a Sqn of Ex US Navy F4J. Some of these aircraft still had Battle scars from Vietnam. These were designated F4J (UK) and were rushed into service still sporting basic US Navy colours. These were later painted in due course to RAF air defense grey.
The No. 74 Squadron Tiger Squadron existed from 1917 until the 1990s. The Squadron had been reformed at RAF Wattisham in 1984 and operated the F-4J until January 1991. McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom ZE-357 was former USN 153892 and was delivered to Wattisham on November 3, 1984. In 1991 74 Squadron exchanged their F-4Js for surplus FGR.2 Phantoms and was delivered to No. 74 Squadron in February 1984 before moving to Bruggen, Germany in 1991. ZE-357 was scrapped in 1998. The No. 74 Squadron disbanded in October 1992.