Slaters Plastikard 7039 O Gauge Charles Roberst rectangular tank wagon kit
Rectangular tar tanks appeared in the late 1880's and were an important
part of the railway scene carrying tar, pitch, heavy oils, etc., until
gradually superseded by road transport from the 1930's onwards. Some
users did however continue with rail transport of these materials and
Charles Roberts and Co. built tar tank wagons as late as 1946.
These vehicles were of 8, 10, 12 or 14 tons capacity and had either
steel or wooden under frames. Until detailed records were uncovered it
was commonly held that they were Generally painted black. But in actual
fact grey and red wagons appeared in about equal numbers with black a
The kit represents the 8, or 12 ton version with a 15'0" tank, built
between 1895 and 1906, after this date the tanks were more commonly 15'9" long. These wagons ran almost everywhere in the country carrying oil,
pitch and by-products from gas works and a small number were still in service at nationalisation, though many could be found at depots as internal use wagons through the 1950s.
Supplied with wheels, 3 link couplings and sprung buffers. Unpainted and unlettered.
Glue paint and lettering required to complete.