Bristol Beaufighter TF.X
No. 144 Sqn, RAF Banff, Aberdeenshire,
Scotland, February 1945
The Bristol Beaufighter was designed as a two-seat long-range fighter. To speed up
production many parts of the older Bristol Beaufort were used. The tail, landing gear and
wings of the Beaufort were transplanted to the Beaufighter and most units were equipped
with airborne radar located in the nose for night-fighting. The Mk. IF was the initial
production and fitted with four 20 mm cannons in the nose along with six 7.7 mm machine
guns in the wings. The Beaufighter TF Mk.X was the last major version with 2,231 built.
In 1919 No. 144 Squadron was disbanded after a brief period of action. In January 1937 the
No. 144 Squadron was re-established and equipped with Handley Page Hampdens. In 1943
the 144th received the Bristol Beaufighter that was much more suited to the task of torpedo
bomber. In June 1943 the squadron moved to Algeria to operate in the Mediterranean.
Three months later the 144th returned to Great Britain. In September 1944, 144 Squadron
moved to RAF Banff for anti-shipping attacks near Norway and were disbanded in May 1945.